Skip to main content

Exploring the North Island

Catching up from where we left off I had a great first two weeks of classes. Things are a little different and many Maori words thrown in. The classes however, are very interesting. The teaching and learning styles are also slightly different. Much less emphasis is placed on facts, but instead on writing. Further, the natural and green agricultural movement has a much stronger emphasis here.

The political thought seems very divided in opinions here much like in the United States. However, their political system is set up very different and there are not just two parties. Many here seem to know more about America's politics than do some of the other American students here. There are many New Zealand citizens who are very pro-Trump and many anti-Trump, but everyone wants to know what my opinion is! I enjoy talking to people about our politics and discovering their perspective on how our government runs/ our political future. It amazes me how much of it they follow, I have had more in-depth conversations on upcoming policy here than when I was working in D.C!

However, it has not been all politics and school. I left my last post saying I planned to do some hiking and exploring. I did just that! I went on some local hikes and spent a lot of time wandering around the city. The following weekend I went to Lake Taupo, Huka Falls, Te Puia (a geothermal area with the North Island's largest geyser), the Redwood Tree Walk, and the Movie Set for Lord of the Rings and the Hobbiton. While all of this was awesome, my absolute favorite part was the Redwood Tree Walk. We went at night so we could see it with the lights on, so my pictures did not turn out well. However, I think that is why it was so special. It was something that had to be experienced in person. To give you a little idea, it was a massive system of treehouse-like structures stretched halfway up giant redwoods that were also connected by suspension bridges. There were several light shows throughout the trails, as well as many informative posters and exhibits. It was magical and I never wanted to leave.

I also must add that I have not seen any of the Lord of the Rings and although I did attempt to watch the first Hobbit movie, I fell asleep three minutes into the trip. So the Hobbiton was all foreign to me, but I did enjoy the little fairytale world!

Below are some of the pictures from the trip:



Inside the Green Dragon at Hobbiton


The Mill at the Hobbiton

Here I am using a strange contraption to widdle a stick.

I think I would have had to crawl through.

By far my favorite part of Hobbiton





TE PUIA




This is the largest geyser on the North Island.






The yellow is sulfur, and boy was there a lot of it here. The whole place smelled bad, but the sights were worth it. 



Redwood Tree Walk






This hilarious sign inside of the bathroom of our hostel. Apparently their toilets have been clogged by too many ex boyfriends, that they felt the need to make a sign.





Huka Falls, outside of lak Taupo. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Zealand Travel and Arrival

Kia ora! (Hello in Māori)

This will be my blog used while studying abroad and my trips on each end of the study abroad. If you have questions or suggestions of places to go/things to see please put them in the comments.

I am currently sitting in my dorm room on the beautiful Massey University campus in Palmerston North, New Zealand. The trip here was more than a little rough. Around 1:30 am the day of my travels were to begin, food poisoning hit. Not only did I get food poisoning, but so did both of my parents. This enlisted my 17-year-old brother and a friend to drive me the 5.5 hours to the Denver airport (although the drive ended up being a little longer). Once at the airport it was a rough wait for the flight to San Francisco and then for my flight to Auckland. After the long flight to Auckland battling the food poisoning and a crying baby, I arrived safely and very dehydrated.

While waiting from my flight to Palmerston North from Auckland, I had the pleasure of meeting several lo…

Recap: #IrelandFFAExperience

Thanks to the generosity of the National FFA Organization and their sponsors, I was able to travel to Ireland through the Stars and Proficiency Program. However, it was due to the support of my FFA advisor, home and collegiate community, my Purdue advisors, and my family for allowing me to become a National Star finalist to qualify for this trip.

The trip started with a night in New York City for orientation. I decided to fly in a day earlier and see some of the sights. I walked around downtown, took a boat tour, enjoyed some street food and some great pizza for dinner. The boat tour included a visit to the Statue of Liberty. However, what I was most excited to do in New York City was visit the last two National Smithsonian Museums. Last summer while I was interning in DC,  I visited all of the Smithsonian museums in the DC and surrounding area. This January I also went back to see the newly opened National Museum of African American History and Culture. In NYC I visited the American …

The South Island Voyage

Life has been hectic in New Zealand! Having had a two week break where I traveled the South Island, getting back to Massey for just four days before flying out to Auckland to take the LSAT, and then catching up on classes and playing soccer/volleyball it has been a busy past five weeks. However, I am hoping to spend more time blogging now that I am caught up.

This post will cover my two week stint in the South Island. This weekend I will post again about my trip to Auckland, hiking a volcano, and the lovely LSAT!

New Zealand's south island is the most beautiful place I have ever been. However, before I get into all the details of the trip, I want to note that anyone traveling in New Zealand use bookme or grabone to book their activities, as I paid less than 50% of the marked price for anything I did, and often much cheaper than that.

Our trip started in Queenstown where we camped out that night and got ready to do the Nevis Swing and explore the town the next day. Queenstown was c…